A Travellerspoint blog

Raehiti Lodge 2nd day


semi-overcast 26 °C
View Jans Australasia on JanSpencer's travel map.

It rained during the night and was still raining lightly when we woke. They haven’t had rain since November. Someone must have told them we were there!! Not to worry. We had looked at the forecast and booked for a massage. Spencer went first then myself. I have had a lot of massages but would definitely say it was the best one I had. Very, very, different from anything I’ve experienced. I will elaborate on my return. Sent clothes to be laundered. $20 for as much as you can get in one bag provided. Bargain.
After lunch, the rain having cleared, we set off on one of the walks recommended. It was quite steep and we were just about to give up, when we turned the last bend and the picnic bench was in sight. It was getting quite hot by now. Had to be careful in places going down. After that we relaxed on the main patio area.

We overheard some people next to us talking about our neck of the woods. Spencer told them where we came from and would you believe it, they lived 7 miles from us. It really is a small world. We had an evening meal with them which was really enjoyable. There are more coincidences but that is also for when we get back. Exchanged emails and arranged to meet on our return.

This is such a beautiful place we didn’t want to leave.

Posted by JanSpencer 00:35 Comments (0)

Raehiti Lodge 14th

Could stay here forever

View Jans Australasia on JanSpencer's travel map.

Wow. Such a beautiful place in Kenepuru Sound. All rooms are on ground level and our room number 1 just next to reception, restaurant etc. Gorgeous sea view and so peaceful. Rooms don’t have TV or telephone. No need. There aren’t many rooms which makes it less commercialised and special. Leanne and Alan are very welcoming and the attention to detail in the lodge, which they have owned for the past 5 years, is next to none. Nothing is too much trouble.
The food is the best we have encountered so far in NZ. All the staff seem really happy to be working there and who wouldn’t be. I said to Spencer, if heaven is like this, then I’m happy to go now (bringing everyone I love with me of course)!!

Went swimming off the jetty which is what we needed to cool down and chill. Wish we had more than 2 nights here.

Had a lovely Valentines meal. Food great.

There is no aircon but had a fan which was sufficient.

Posted by JanSpencer 20:54 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

Hello South Island

Onward journey to Kenepuru Sound

View Jans Australasia on JanSpencer's travel map.

After having a snack in Picton, we went to the Cougar Ferry. Our luggage was already onboard. We had a bouncy and at times a little wet ride in the ferry, due to the fact we sat outside at the back. It was only a small ferry boat.

After this we were met by a man with a car but he could only take so many and so 4 had to be left behind. As we were one of the last to get off we offered to stay behind with another couple. He was a bit longer than the promised 10mins, but it was hot and sunny so we didn’t mind. Although I was regretting having my jeans on now.

He did come back to get us I’m pleased to say and he took us the 10min. ride to Te Mahia. Holding on tightly, a fast speedboat ride, this time across the Kenepuru Sound to the place we have both been looking forward to.

Posted by JanSpencer 20:46 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

Goodbye North Island

Ferry trip to South Island

28 °C
View Jans Australasia on JanSpencer's travel map.

Had a cab to Interislander Ferry Terminal as so much luggage. It wasn’t far, but we would have struggled. Our luggage was checked in, which was a very easy process, then onto the ferry. The weather was completely different to the previous day, being overcast and cool. I’m glad for my lightweight jeans and fleece.

The ferry was quite a large one with lots of vehicles. We chose to pay for the lounge with reclining chairs. It was worth the money, costing $20 each, but you also got a $15 voucher each to spend on food and drink. That would have been good if one hadn’t lost one of the vouchers. We blamed each other of course. To be fair it looked like a till receipt.

The journey was just over 3 hours and at first quite windy Once we were in the Queen Charlotte Sound it was sunny and warm. On with the sunglasses and off with the fleece.

We arrived in Picton to a gloriously hot and sunny afternoon.

The arrival lounge where we were to find our luggage wasn’t particularly large. I couldn’t see the carousel from where I was, there were so many people trying to catch sight of their cases. We hadn’t put our straps around, so identification was just that bit harder. It thinned out a bit and I was able to join Spencer. A man tried to take my suitcase before realising it wasn’t his. Spencer was on the case as I was about to pounce!! My worst fear is losing my suitcase.

Posted by JanSpencer 20:23 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

Leave Napier for Wellington

Wednesday 13th.

View Jans Australasia on JanSpencer's travel map.

Left Napier around 9am. Long but pleasant drive. Stopped at a nice cafe called The Lazy Graze in Eketahuna. Sat outside to eat breakfast. Temp showed 30C in car. Drove through the mountains - very twisty road. Beautiful scenery. Good old sat-nav found our hotel, The Wellesley Boutique Hotel, checked in and offloaded our luggage then took our hire car back to Thrifty. 😢. Loved this car.

Our hotel was quite near the quayside so we walked around and had a drink. The museum there was huge but we didn’t get time to go in.

Back to the hotel to freshen up and had an evening meal at Portofino on the quayside, which was very nice. Spencer now thinks he no longer needs to take me to THE Portofino! Thought we would have a nightcap at the hotel but everything was shut by 8pm. Probably because there are so many bars in the area, they don’t need to pay staff to keep bar open.

Anyway, we had an early start in the morning so we had an early night. Terrible night’s sleep. The aircon was broken and 2 fans were in the room. It was a very old hotel with tall ceilings. The fans just blew the hot air around. The rooms are being refurbished and the aircon hadn’t worked for several months apparently. There was a rucked up rug under a piece of heavy furniture at the end of the bed, which was a trip hazard. It was covering a very worn patch in the carpet! I wouldn’t exactly call it a ‘boutique’ hotel and I wouldn’t stay here again. Thank goodness it was for one night only.

We liked what we saw of Wellington and I’m sure it has lots to offer, but I prefer the small towns.

Posted by JanSpencer 19:58 Comments (0)

(Entries 21 - 25 of 48) « Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »